Monday, January 16, 2012

Keeping the Dream Alive!

This morning I attended our community's 9th annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Prayer Breakfast.  It was a warm and moving reminder of the progress we have made in so many ways. It is a reminder of what others have not only endured, but also survived and changed so that those of us who were to come after them might have a similar, yet better opportunity.  I often think of how I might have contributed to such, had I lived during the civil rights movement.  It is then that I am reminded, that it is not over.

The opportunity to help, assist, and give back to our community still exists.  The need has not diminished.  Fortunately, I am able to give back everyday as a principal.  I am provided with the chance to help, assist, inspire, and impact lives each and every day.  It is often easy for us, as principals, to take this opportunity for granted.  We can get caught up in the day to day tasks, meetings, deadlines to meet, and paperwork to complete.  This morning, I was reminded, of just how critically important my work and our work as educators continues to be.  For we are the dream keepers.  We dream, not only for ourselves, but also for others.  It is a part of what we do.  We inspire others to dream.  We help build dreams.  Sometimes, we are lucky enough to help make dreams come true.

As principals, it is our duty and our obligation, to dream and to dream big for all children.  This week, and everyday, let us be reminded by the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to keep the dream alive in our work.

Let's dream big!

Latoya

No comments:

Post a Comment