Friday, July 10, 2015

Change Starts In The Heart (and other wisdom according to Latoya)

A tweet from me yesterday:
The heart always changes before the mind. -@latoyadixon5

I could be wrong about this (I don't think I am) and if I am, then...oh well. This post is for all, but I'm hoping principals are reading.

Change is hard. I'm always baffled by people who proclaim, " I love change". Maybe they do but...I don't believe it. What I believe is that they have conditioned themselves to accept change. Some are even able to embrace it from years of experience. In case you haven't figured it out, change is inevitable. It happens and it happens all the time. Nothing stays the same-especially in education. 

I mean who remembers Oregon Trail? I do. However, you won't hear me saying the only experience with technology I had in school was with Oregon Trail and I turned out fine (I'm still a work in progress). I've heard that song from so many before but what I really hear them saying is I don't want to change.  Don't make me learn something else! Dealing with change isn't an issue of mind over matter. It's an issue of heart over matter. 


One thing I know for sure about change is that real change happens in the heart and then, the mind follows. Nothing is more powerful than a change of heart. So my challenge to all of us (myself included) is that when we find ourselves resisting change or afraid of it or hesitant to accept it, let's search our hearts for the reason why, not your head. After all, you and I both know that our minds can play tricks on us, but our hearts cannot be fooled.
Until next time-be you, be true, be a hope builder!
-Latoya
@latoyadixon5

No comments:

Post a Comment